Thursday, August 28, 2008

Tired Legs

My legs are writhing with pain tonight. I am coming to the conclusion of what has been 3 very good weeks of marathon training. I have run an 88 mile week, a 100 mile week, and tonight I sit at 61 with two days of training left. This last week of running has been in the midst of my return to school as a teacher/coach. It's amazing how much more energy you lose just standing up and teaching all day. At night, my legs seem to ache the most. Fatigue sets in about 8 p.m., and around 9:30 I am the equivalent of a zombie. In college, I would soak my aching legs after a hard running session in the school's ice bath. The water was always prepared and waiting for me at a comfy 50 degrees. Oh, what luxuries I had in college.

Tomorrow night is my CC team's first meet of the season. The majority of the boys have been working extremely hard, and I am anxious to see their progress. We lost several from last year's state qualifying team, but I am confident with persistent hard work and dedication we can return to the state meet in November. I am a little nervous about tomorrow night as it is my debut as the "head" coach.

No comments: