Sunday, August 17, 2008

My Wife


Since getting married in March, many people have recently asked me, "So how is married life?" Well, I have to say that marriage is great!! Mostly because I am married to the most wonderful woman in the world. I got up early this morning to do a long run from Krum to a random gas station in Denton (some 20+ miles away). When I asked Stephanie if she would pick me and my running partner, Coach Willison, up when were finished she didn't even hesitate to say "sure". Steph has been awesome in supporting me in my running career. I cannot thank her enough for standing by me as I pursue my goals and encouraging me along the way.

I thought a little bit about what these first few months of my marriage have meant. It sounds funny, but the the past 5 months of marriage remind me of several things--my Grandpa's old recliner, my morning cup of coffee, a run on a cool crisp morning, and my mom's buffalo chip cookies.

Okay, let me explain. Pappy (my grandpa) gave me his old recliner when I graduated college because they no longer needed it. That recliner has been my favorite place to relax for over five years now; it is well worn and occasionally I can still smell remnants of my grandfather's scent. The living room would not be as comfortable without that chair.

One of my favorite things to do is sip a cup of coffee and read the newspaper at the breakfast table. I know that makes me seem really old, but I find it very relaxing. After finishing my morning coffee, I feel like I can conquer the world. Without it, I really struggle through the day.

Running is best when done on an early morning when the wind is calm, the air is crisp and the temp. is cool. It seems that some of my best runs have come in the early Fall and Spring months when the weather is nice. It's on these days that I feel like one of running's Elites. Without these days to look forward to, it would be difficult to maintain motivation in the grueling summer and winter months.

Oh boy, my mom's buffalo chip cookies!! She used to send me boxes of them in college. I'm not sure what all she puts in them but they are great. In college I waited for her to send them to me like I was awaiting a paycheck. The cookies were usually gone in a matter of days. Those cookies helped me get through the "homesick" period of my early college years.

All of these things help make my life a little sweeter, a bit more relaxing, and keep me smiling. Steph has sweetened my life more than any of the above. It is hard to remember what my life was like before we met, but I know I thank God every day that we found each other.

So, how is married life?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Well, it's SWEET!

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I'm glad you like married life.

Mommysmart said...

This was enough to make your sister tear up. You are a great writer. I think that Steph is pretty sweet myself.