Thursday, August 21, 2008

A Dog's Master

It's true what they say that a dog cannot serve two masters. Since adopting our border collie about a month ago I have learned this truth. Steph and I started talking about getting a dog several months ago. I was really excited about getting a dog, and I only had one request--a male dog. I thought that would help balance things out since we have a female cat named Grace (and the cat is definately Stephanie's). In my head I envisioned my dog gracefully running beside me. I could see us playing fetch for hours in the park. And, at the end of the day I just knew my dog would lazily crash at my feet as I relaxed in my recliner.

When we went to the Denton animal shelter we found the perfect little male border collie. We knew this was the dog for us, yet, we (no I) was shocked when the Vet called to inform us that our little pup was in actuality a little girl. This is where the problems began! Since bringing our dog Mercy home I have learned that this little pup had already given her full allegiance to Stephanie.
Let me give a few examples. 1.) Stephanie can say, "Mercy, Go potty." And the dog responds by trotting off to find the right spot to take a poo. I say, "Mercy, Go potty," and she responds with that puzzled stare when dogs tilt their heads to one side and they are trying to figure you out. 2.) Since day 1 with Mercy, Steph and I have both tried to get her to play fetch with us. We have tossed the ball only to see her sit and stare. Well, yesterday at lunch we had a breakthrough. Stephanie successfully got her to fetch a toy and return it several times. I was so excited to see this, I had to give it a try. I grabbed the toy, knelt down next to Mercy, threw the toy, and said "Mercy go get it." She tried to bite my leg instead. 3.) Last night, I thought I would redeem myself by taking Mercy for a little run down the street, so I put her leash on and headed out the door. We got to the edge of the drive way and Mercy screeched to a halt. I stood out in the street making noises, shouting for her, telling her to come, doing everything possible to get her to follow me. She wouldn't budge. Tonight as I was watching the Olympics, Stephanie walked out the door with a little black ball of fur leading the way. She came back to let me know that the two of them had made a successful trot down to the end of the street.

As I finish this post tonight, Mercy is lying on the kitchen floor asleep. I'm quite sure she is dreaming about frollicking through green pastures, jumping through the air to catch frisbees, and relaxing on the back porch--all of course at her master's side.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Well maybe that's because recently your loyalties have been to the Olympics.