Thursday, August 7, 2008

Running Vegas






This past week I was in Las Vegas for an annual golf/gambling retreat I take with some of my buddies. I'm not sure why I go because my golf game is very sub-par and analyzing the contents of my wallet would indicate that I'm even worse at gambling. The six days in the Nevada desert also took its toll on my running. We woke up very early each day and played golf in the morning, which left the afternoon hours available to attempt a run. Let's just say that running in temps of 105+ in the baking sun is not ideal training. I managed only 3 runs while away, a total of 28 miles in 6 days. I will say that my golf game improved quite a bit over the course of the trip, and we played some very nice but difficult golf courses.


With the 3 hour flight to Las Vegas and then back to Dallas, I managed to read a fantastic book, Blue Like Jazz. It is about one man's (Donald Miller's) understanding of Christian spirituality and his journey to find God. I identified with his struggles of selfishness, and admired his desire to love others more. I highly recommend the read, and I am considering reading some of the other works by this talented author. You can check his website out at http://www.donaldmillerwords.com/.


Finally, before leaving for Las Vegas, Steph and I rescued a 2 month old Border Collie mix from the Denton Shelter. She is a cutie that loves to play; we named her Mercy. Stephanie was stuck housetraining and taking care of Mercy, our cat Grace, and her parents' cat Oscar while I was gone to Vegas. I know it was probably hard on her--Have I mentioned how awesome my wife is?


Needless to say, I was happy to return to Krum and my beautiful wife last night. I ran an easy five this morning in a comfortable 85 degrees.

1 comment:

Mommysmart said...

WooHoo! Welcome to blogging....I loved it!