Monday, September 22, 2008

Second Chances


We have been studying the book of Jonah at church on Sundays. God asked Jonah to travel to Nineveh (a dark and sinful city) and deliver a message. Jonah was scared and did not want to go, so he ran away. The Bible tells us that he wanted to flee to Tarshish. Tarshish was in the opposite direction of Nineveh and was essentially at the ends of the known world (at least the trading world). Jonah thought he could run from God; that he could hide; that God would not know his heart. So, God had a giant fish swallow up good old Jonah, and made him spend a few days in its belly. It was in the darkness of the fish's stomach where Jonah came to terms with what he had done. He prayed, "From the depths of the grave, I called for help, and you listened to my cry." (Jonah 2:2) Jonah renewed his spirit and made a new vow to the Lord saying, "What I have vowed I will make good." (Jonah 2:9) And what did God do? Jonah 3:1-2 says, "Then the word of the Lord came to Jonah a second time (empasis mine), 'Go to the great city of Nineveh and proclaim the message I give you.'" God gave Jonah a second chance and Jonah did what the Lord commanded.

I am thankful for second chances. God has granted me many of them.

No comments: