Monday, September 29, 2008

My dog is faster than your dog

I am two weeks out from the Steamtown Marathon, and after running 19 yesterday I took today off. So, I thought it would be fun to take Mercy (my dog) for a short little run. Just for grins, I started my watch to see how fast she could do it. We ran about a mile out away from the house, then turned around and came back. She bit at the leash a little at the beginning and I let her sit for about 10 seconds at the mile marker, but other than that she ran the whole way. Total time was 14:53. That is under 7:30 per mile pace! I thought that was really good for a 5 month old puppy. Hopefully, before long she will be able to run 3-4 miles with me. Once she gets going she is really good company. She also gets really excited when you say things like "Come on, girl" and "Good Girl Mercy". She always picks up her speed when I say stuff like that.

I am really getting excited about the marathon. I feel like I am better prepared for this race than any other I have run. Hopefully, I will be able to crack into the top 5 and earn some prize money. Winning it would be the ultimate goal as there is $2,000 prize for 1st. I need to stay rested, healthy and hydrated over the next two weeks so that I can compete at my best.

1 comment:

Mommysmart said...

I am just glad that I am not your dog!