Tuesday, August 3, 2010

World Record in the Gulf of Mexico

Steph and I left Galveston Thursday afternoon on a Carnival cruise to Cozumel, Mexico. While on board, I thought it would be fun to whip out the Garmin and see how it would measure my run. (The cruise ship had a track on the top deck that was probably about 1/8 mile around.) I posted the map and stats below. The funniest thing to me was that it recorded my mile pace to be about 2:45 per mile. That's a world record for the mile. When I finished the 45 minute run, the Garmin showed me to have run almost 17 miles. So, you might ask why it was off by so much? Well, from what I understand the Garmin does not constantly track you while running. Instead it does so intermittantly. So, each time it picked me back up, not only was I farther down the track but I was also farther along with the speed of the boat as well. See the map below (Zoom out to get a better picture of the Gulf!!


No comments: