Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Heat

Well, I have decided that my radiator just doesn't work well in the hot summer temps. Althought summer 2010 has been relatively mild in Austin compared to last summer, I have really struggled in the heat these last few weeks. I think it can mostly be attributed to the fact that this is the first summer I have really put in some intensity training. Typically, I will just use the summer to build up some good volume; rarely have I ever done any major summer races or workouts. Yet, here I am sandwiched between my disappointing Grandma's Marathon in June and the Spirit of Columbus Half Marathon in August trying to pound out some steady state runs and hill sessions. It seems as though my legs really crash about 5 miles in to a steady state or tempo run and at about 15 miles in a long run. It's a weird feeling--my legs just get rubbery and I feel as though I don't have a lot of energy. I don't think I am overtrained, and I am definitely going easy enough on my recovery runs. I think it just has to have something to do with the heat. Some people just don't handle hot training conditions as well as others.

With all that said, I am trying some new things out in my running. 1.) I am going watchless for a few days. Even though my last post included a pretty detailed workout tracked by my FR Garmin 405 and I like having that feedback, I am going to the opposite end of the spectrum. It is kind of nice not knowing how far or fast I am running, and I think it helps me listen to my body. Instead of constantly looking at how far in to a run I am or how fast I am running, I have just been running until my legs are tired and then I stop. 2.) Electrolyte tablets. . . . I try to drink lots of water (especially in the summer), but with as much as I sweat in the summer time I think it helps to take in some additional electrolytes. I like this product to help me stay properly hydrated. 3.) Stretching and strength. . . . . since it is difficult to put in the big miles in the summer, I have been adding some light stretching and strength exercises to fill out my training regimen. I also like to use a foam roller to help keep my Hamstrings and IT bands loose.

No comments: