Thursday, July 8, 2010

In my mind, I am a Kenyan


In college, I had a huge Nike poster of Kenyan runners. In the foreground of the poster was a quote that read, "In my mind, I am a Kenyan". The Kenyans are the standard in distance running--they have been for several years now. Recently I began reading a book about Kenyan distance running called "More Fire: How to Run the Kenyan Way" by Toby Tanser. The book is a really good read with lots of insight into how Kenyans train as well as a great history of the rise of Kenyan distance running. Tanser also comments on the debate as to why Kenyans are so much better, so much more dominant than any other nation in the world at this sport. I am about a quarter of the way through the book, but already I am curious to learn more about "the Kenyan Way".

I came across a video about a group of Kenyans that train in New Mexico called AmeriKenya. I have actually raced some of these guys, most recently at the 2009 White Rock Marathon in Dallas. The video is phenomenal. One of the things that impressed me most was how these Kenyans were so in tune with their bodies--they know how to listen to their bodies. When they are supposed to run easy, they run very easy. When it is time to go fast, they run very fast. If they are feeling beat up, they rest AND if they feel good they run fast. This is such a simple philosophy, and one that very few American distance runners adhere to. The other thing that really impressed me was the confidence and positive nature of these athletes. Each one of them really believes they can be the very best. They are not easily discouraged, and they are always optimistic about their abilities.
You can watch the video here.

No comments: