Monday, January 19, 2009

A lot on my mind. . . .


My brain has been getting a serious workout lately. I have certainly had a lot on my mind, and at times I feel as though my thoughts are a jumbled mess. The good news is that I believe God is doing a good work in me right now--He feels very close. You will have to excuse the randomness and lack of cohesion but I am going to unleash some of the many thoughts that have been running through my mind.

1. My career: God does not care as much about what I do as how I do it. I have struggled recently in understanding exactly what I should be doing with my life. Should I be coaching and teaching or doing something else? I think the truth is, God made me with a number of different talents and abilities which would be suitable for a thousand different careers. But, what is most important is that I work for the Lord. My work/job/career is simply an avenue of showing my Christlike character and bringing others to God. For the longest time now, I have treated my career as a way to improve my status, achieve personal success, make money, etc. I want to see my career through God's eyes and use it to reach others.

2. It's not about me: God made me for a purpose. I am learning more about that purpose as I read Rick Warren's book The Purpose Driven Life. I have been selfish for a lot of years. My focus has been on ME. I have been jealous of siblings, friends, and colleagues. I have envied the talents of others and rested on my laurels. (See a great reading on laurels here.) For the first time, I am beginning to understand that I am here on earth to please GOD. And, the great thing is that I am excited about finding more ways to do that. God wants me to use my unique personality and abilities to serve others and praise Him.

3. Worship: I am discovering that worship is so much more than sitting in a pew singing, praying and listening. Worship is continual, it's never ending, it's eternal, it's glorifying and pleasing God in everything I do. Think about it, using your abilities/talents with God in your heart is an act of worship. Colossians 3:23 reads, "Whatever you do, work at with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men." Even my running has become a way in which I can glorify God.

4. Life is meant to be shared: Colossians 3:15--"Each one of you is part of the body of Christ, and you were chosen to live together in peace." I have always considered myself somewhat of a loner. Mostly because of my social awkwardness--I have used this as an excuse to avoid others. In the past, I have been afraid that others might see my weaknesses. my inadequacies and I have shut them out. However, the truth is I need others in my life. Steph and I have been attending a Young Marrieds bible study, and it has been such a blessing in my life. Knowing I have a group of men praying for me and holding me accountable each week is very reassuring.

Those are just a few of the things in my head. The other thoughts are still jumbled and confused, but I am really excited about the way God is working on me right now.

3 comments:

TREY MORGAN said...

Keith ... sounds like God is really stretching you right now. Let Him have control.

I love the wisdom in your post. I'm forwarding it to my two oldest boys to read.

Mommysmart said...

Wow, Keith! That was really good. Doesn't sound jumbled to me. Sort of amazing that when you are finally down low enough you have no choice but to look up. I will pray that you will continue to find clarity as you lean on God. Just try to find joy in this part of the journey, too.

Love you!

Kristina said...

I know you posted this almost a month ago, but I am reading your blog for the first time! You are a really great writer and I love reading a new side of you that I, or alot of people rarely even see!

This has been my favorite blog, thus far! It's so great to see and hear people still believe that money & what career you have is not the main purpose of life! I know alot of people, including myself, struggle with what God really wants, or what they need to do for Him, but instead end up taking even more of the focus off of Him. S
So thanks for this! What an inspiring post! :)

Kristina Cloud