Sunday, January 11, 2009

Cowtown Training Update

I am into my 4th week of training for the Cowtown Marathon (2/28). If I can manage to win again this year, I will be the first person to win 3 Cowtowns (mine in consecutive years). I am hoping to be in fairly solid shape this time around so I can run a much faster time than the previous 2 years. So far, I am pleased with my training--although my schedule prevents me from putting in high mileage, I have had some quality sessions. Each week, I focus on three high intensity sessions: 1. Long Run (I have done 16 and 18 miles--today I will do 20) 2. A tempo run of 5-6 miles (last week I ran 5 miles in 25:52 with miles of 5:15, 5:15, 5:09, 5:07, 5:05) 3. 400 meter repeats (I have done 8, 12, and 16 so far--yesterday I averaged about 70 seconds per 400).

For Christmas, Stephanie bought me a Garmin GPS watch. It is a really awesome gadget, which allows me to keep track of distance run, pace, heart rate, calories burned, and it even maps out each of my runs. Every serious distance runner should have one. You can find one here.

No comments: