Monday, June 15, 2009

el scorcho

Well, I signed up for my first ultramarathon. It is a 50K (31 mile) race in Fort Worth on the Trinity Trail. What makes this race unique is that it begins at midnight, and historically is in the hottest month of the year (July), hence the name el scorcho. Oh, the entire race also takes place around a 5K (3.1 mile) loop--so, yes for all the math majors that means 10 loops. My friend Tod Tieszen is also running in the race--he encouraged me to do it.

I'm looking forward to the experience, but I'm not sure I have had enough time to properly train for an ultra. Last week was my best week of mileage in months at 78. I finished the week with 18 miles at Brusy Creek Trail in Cedar Park. This is was an awesome trail for running, biking, walking, etc. I highly recommend it if you are in the area--you can check out the park and map here. I should be able to surpass the 80 mile mark this week.

In other news, we have officially moved to Cedar Park, TX. I began working with my new cross country team last week. I have some good kids that are very dedicated. You can check out the school's website here--it is called Vandegrift High School.

No comments: