Monday, June 29, 2009

El Scorcho Update

Well, I am less than 3 weeks away from my first ULTRA. Training has been decent. My mileage has been in the mid-80s the past 3 weeks, but my long runs have been really bad. Considering the short preparation time I had for this race, I thought it would be a good idea to do a long run every week. WRONG!! I have done a 17, 18 and 19 mile run thus far. It seems as though I get to about the 13/14 mile point and my legs just feel like jello. I think the high weekly mileage is taking its toll on my legs. At this point, just finishing the 31 miles will be a challenge.

Since the race begins at midnight, I am going to start doing some late-night training runs. Tomorrow night, I will do my long run on a 3.5 mile course starting at 10 p.m.

I have also discovered that running on the treadmill is really not that bad. Steph and I joined Gold's gym about a week ago, and I have done a couple of runs there. They have a media room that has a movie theater screen and about a dozen treadmills. Yesterday, I ran for 65 minutes while watching "The Dukes of Hazzard". It's a nice change of pace to do an occasional run there.

5K this weekend in Lago Vista with my VHS CC team. This should be a good test of speed. I have not raced in over a month.

No comments: