Monday, February 2, 2009

Conquer the Long Run

When training for a marathon, it is essential that you get several quality long runs under your belt. In training for past marathons, I dreaded doing the weekly long run. They take so much time and can get quite boring. However, for the last two marathons, I have changed my approach to the long run, and I have actually learned to enjoy them. Here are some tips for your next one:

1. If possible, run with a partner. Running is always better if you have someone beside you.
2. If you don't have a running partner, listen to an IPOD. I used to say that I would never listen to music when I ran (I thought I was too good for that). But, I have learned that music can help pass the time. And, music can also help you establish your running rythm.
3. Choose a point-to-point course. I always enjoy starting from home and ending up in another town. Have your spouse, friend or family member come and pick you up. My favorite is starting in Krum and finishing in Corinth.
4. Run somewhere new. Every once in a while I will make a short drive over to the Greenbelt trail on Hwy. 380 for a long run. The new scenery through the trails is just enough to refresh my long run.
5. Make an event out of it. Run to a breakfast place, and have your spouse or a buddy meet you there. Replenish all those calories you burned with pancakes and bacon.
6. Set up water along your route. This is one I need to do more often. Practice drinking at certain mile markers and establish a drink plan for your race.
7. Use a GPS watch. I'm a big believer in these now for long runs. They can monitor your pace, distance, time, Heart Rate, and even your calories burned. Truly awesome!!
8. Mentally and physically prepare for your long run. Treat it like it is the real deal. Decide on a time to do your long run, and do not change it. Eat good carbs the night before your run and a healthy breakfast/snack before you start.
9. Reward yourself after you are done. Completing a long run is a true accomplishment. Kick back and relax for the rest of the day--you deserve it!

2 comments:

Mommysmart said...

Good tips, Keith. You seriously should submit those to a running magazine for publication.

Do you listen to audiobooks on your mp3 while you run or just music?

KP said...

haha, thanks. i have listened to some sermons, but i have never listened to audiobooks.