Thursday, February 19, 2009

1 Week to Cowtown

According to the Cowtown website at the moment I am writing this blog entry, there are only 8 days, 11 hours and 24 minutes left to race time. I am excited and ready for the race to be here. Marathon training is a very long process, and it takes a lot out of you. By this point in my training, I am so ready to just race--I feel as though I have been training forever. I wonder if other marathoners feel the same way.

My training has been pretty good, although I did not get the same kind of high mileage in as I did when training for Steamtown. I have managed a tempo and interval session each week as well as a long run of 18-22 miles. This week, my legs have been pretty tired, and it made me question whether or not I was backing off enough. I have learned to listen to my body when race time approaches. Here are some signs you may need to back off in those last crucial weeks of training:

1. Take your pulse in the morning--take the day off or easy if your resting heart rate is abnormally higher than usual
2. If you wake up and feel exhausted, go back to SLEEP (at least for one day, it won't hurt you to sleep in and skip that morning run)
3. If your legs feel heavy and/or tired while walking--Take a load off and prop your feet up (elevate the legs)
4. Sharp pain of any kind anywhere can indicate possible injury; this late in the game, don't risk it and take the day off.
5. If within the first 10-20 minutes of your run your legs begin to feel tired, just stop!!
6. If you have any mental doubts at all about doing a run in the last week of training (i.e., you think doing a run might zap your legs for the race), then just don't run. THE HAY IS IN THE BARN!! Nothing you do in the last week of training is going to make you run faster.

8 Days, 11 hours and 10 minutes!!

1 comment:

TREY MORGAN said...

Keith ...

My biggest mistake in my first marathon training was not listening to my body. I thought I had to follow a schedule, no matter what my body said. Many days it SCREAMED for rest and still if the schedule said I was supposed to run 6, I suffered though 6. My marathon reflected the lack of wisdom.

At 43, I've changed my running style. An extra day off and when my body says take a break ... I do. I ran a 16 miler yesterday and felt great ... may have to try and pull of a late spring/ early summer marathon.

Good luck Saturday ... you'll do great!