Wednesday, March 25, 2009

WIND. . . .my least favorite element

The wind around North Texas early this week was really wild. On Sunday and Monday, the wind blew very hard out of the South. I went for a 7 mile out-and-back run Monday afternoon and made the mistake of running with the wind at my back for 3.5 miles "out". On the return to my house, I literally thought the wind was going to lift me off of the ground. It slowed me to a snail's pace for the second half of the run. Here are some tips for the next run you do on a windy day:

1. If you must do an out and back run, start by running in to the wind. Then, the trip back will seem much easier.
2. Have your spouse or friend drive you for your desired run distance into the wind and do your entire run with the wind at your back.
3. Make it into a workout. Run into the wind for 1 minute hard, then turn around and run with the wind for 2 minutes.
4. Go to a track and do an interval or repetition session. An example: repeat 200s (run one with the wind at your back, then jog diagonally across the field back to the start).
5. Dust off the old treadmill. Personally, I hate running on treadmills but with Monday's wind gusts the treadmill would have been a relief.
6. Tuck your chin to your chest, grit your teeth, and suck it up! The wind only makes you stronger!

1 comment:

TREY MORGAN said...

Keith ... when you get time would you email me, I have a marathon question ...

thanks -

treymorgan@msn.com