Saturday, October 25, 2008

The Bubble

So much has happened in the last two weeks that I have not had a chance to post in several days. First, I must write about the Steamtown Marathon. I finished 2nd in 2:23:07 (a personal best by almost 2 minutes). I was pleased with my time, but I was actually disappointed in the overall performance. At the 19 mile mark, I took the lead and tried to pull away from the eventual winner. That decision turned out to be a critical mistake as I really bombed in the last 2 miles. Had I been more patient and waited to make my move, I think I would have had a better shot at winning and I believe my time would have been about 30 seconds faster. That "stupid" decision also cost me $1000. BUT, you live and learn. I think I am still learning a lot about the marathon, and I believe I am only going to get better.

Today, I ran a 5K in Fort Worth (The DO Dash). Although I think the course was a little short, I ran a personal best for 5K in 14:31. It was amazing--after doing all of my marathon training, racing a 5K seemed really short and easy. I came through the first 2 miles in 9:53 and felt awesome, so I really hammered in the last mile and ran a comfortable 4:37. With the way I have felt in the last few months of training and considering my recent races, I think I am really close to a major breakthrough. I feel as though I am right on the bubble of being in that arena of the truly elite.

Brian and Krista ran the 5K with me today, and after the race we cooked out hot dogs and watched the TTU/Kansas game. It was really fun getting to spend time with them. Although they do not live that far away from us, I feel like we rarely get to see them.

One last thing--My sweetheart, Stephanie turned 26 this week! I think she had a pretty good birthday. I love you Stephanie.

No comments: